Duck Island Bread Company is a genuine artisan bakery where we celebrate and honor the traditions of generations of European bakers.
Founded by Robert Biancavilla, the company is evolving from his desire to provide the local community with exceptional bread and pastries. Inspired and taught by bakers from the United States, Canada, France, and Germany, we handcraft each and every pastry and loaf of bread from scratch in small batches, using only the finest quality ingredients.
Our bread baking philosophy is that no bread is baked before its time. The goal is to allow each small batch of dough to develop its flavors naturally through hours of fermentation, without the addition of commonly used artificial flavor enhancers. Our breads are leavened naturally by capturing the wild yeast spores present in the air and grain. We have patiently fermented wheat and rye flour, nurturing thriving cultures of wild yeast. This time-honored method of leavening, passed on by generations of bread bakers, produces wonderfully delicious and long-lasting bread. Our free-form loaves are shaped by hand and baked directly on the stone deck of our Pavailler hearth oven.
Our enriched breads and pastries are prepared with only the highest quality of ingredients. Using simply flour, whole milk, eggs, minimally refined sugar, and European-style unsalted butter, we handcraft croissants and other pastries, pretzels, cookies, brownies, and scones—all from scratch. Give us a try and taste the difference!
201C East Main Street
Huntington, NY 11743
Northport Farmers' Market
Please check back soon for future dates. Fill out our request form to receive registration materials as soon as they become available.
Baking French Bread at Home
Learn how to make perfect French bread at home. This hands-on class will teach you how to make the best possible French bread in your own kitchen. You will learn about wheat flour, preferments, and how to mix a traditional French bread dough by hand. You will get experience shaping loaves and learn steaming techniques for your home oven. You will also shape and bake snacks to enjoy during class, and go home with the loaves you prepared and baked.
$150 per person
Class size: Maximum 6
Minimum age: 16
German Traditions: Rye Bread and Pretzels
In this class, we will cover the basics for creating classic rye bread from scratch. You will learn about rye flour, sourdough, and the unique chemistry that sets rye breads apart from wheat breads. We will also take you through the entire process of mixing, shaping, and baking authentic Bavarian pretzels.
GROUPS AND PRIVATE EVENTS
We're happy to schedule private classes and events around our bakery schedule, and we'll work with you to design a program that will fit your group. We require a minimum of 6 students for private classes. To inquire about private baking classes, please fill out our request form or email us at email@example.com
Registration material may be obtained by email by filling out the form above or sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed registration material must be returned together with payment before registration will be confirmed.
Payment is required to secure your position in class. We accept cash, checks, all credit cards, and Duck Island Bread Company gift cards.
In the event that your class is cancelled due to bad weather, low enrollment, or other circumstances, we will notify you as soon as possible by email and issue you a full refund.
If you cancel your reservation with more than one week's notice you will receive a full refund. If you cancel your reservation with less than one week's notice there is no refund.
If interested in any of these positions, please contact Robert Biancavilla at (631) 223-2799 or email@example.com
Tuesday through Saturday, 6am to 2pm
Reports to the shift Baker
The Production Assistant's primary responsibility is to provide a clean and safe kitchen area for our staff by washing and cleaning dishware, pots, pans, utensils, and other equipment as needed. The Production Assistant keeps the sink area and equipment clean and organized and maintains our ongoing cleaning schedules for equipment, storage, and racking. The Production Assistant works hand in hand with the shift Baker.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
- Assumes 100% responsibility for the cleanliness of pots, pans, dishware, and utensils
- Washes and stores all pots, pans, dishware, and utensils
- Keeps sink area clean and organized
- Completes opening and closing checklists
- Bags and hauls trash to dumpster
- Maintains adequate levels of dish detergents and cleaning supplies
- Assists with the final packaging of food products
- Cleans food preparation and production areas as required
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for all stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement
- Performs other kitchen maintenance duties as assigned
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Must possess a positive attitude and work well with other team members
- Must be able to work unsupervised
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers and other staff
- Must begin at 6am each day of scheduled work unless otherwise noted.
COGNITIVE, PHYSICAL, AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Be willing to follow directions and ask questions for clarification if needed
- Be able to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently push, pull, move and/or lift up to 50 pounds
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 10 hours)
- Be able to work in hot, wet, humid and loud environment for long periods of time
- Footwear must be closed toed, non-slip shoes
- Socks must be worn
- Long pants required
- Clean T-shirt
- Clean White apron (provided)
- Facial hair covering must be worn (hair/beard net)
This should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. There may be some variation and/or development of the above duties and responsibilities without changing the general nature of the job.
YEAR-ROUND BAKERY SALES ASSOCIATE
Saturday, 6am to 2pm
Whether at the shop or Northport Farmers' Market, you will work in a small space with a big following, while enthusiastically delivering great service to our customers. Educating them about the quality of our baked goods and inspiring them to support our brand and our mission.
ASSISTANT PASTRY BAKER
Reports to Head Baker
The Assistant Pastry Baker works primarily on pastry production. Experience in both bread and pastry production is preferred. Ongoing training within the bakery is available.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
- Acquires accuracy and proficiency in scaling, mixing, baking, and finish work
- Follows proper production procedures
- Maintains food safety and sanitation standards
- Adheres to Bakery Good Manufacturing Practices
- Acquires knowledge of, and ability to use, standard commercial baking equipment
- Is punctual
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS
- Desire to produce consistent, high-quality bakery products
- Flexibility with scheduling
- Availability to work different shifts to help with scheduling and absence coverage
- Availability to work weekends
- Ability to interact well with others (team members, customers, etc.) in all situations
- Ability to multitask
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Can work well in a group under pressure
- Willing to share space, ingredients, and equipment with coworkers during production
- Willing to do the dishes and sanitize bakery
- A desire for continuously improving baking skills
- Infectious enthusiasm for baking!
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in a hands-on production bakery is preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for 8-hour shift
- Stamina to work quickly and accurately in a busy production bakery
"With Duck Island Bread Company, founder and head baker [Robert] Biancavilla has revived the romantic notion of the hometown baker who hand-crafts all his goods from scratch and knows his patrons by name."
—T.W. Barritt, Long Island Food: A History from Family Farms & Oysters to Craft Spirits
Long Island bakeries making amazing artisanal breads March 2018
Long Island side jobs: Pole dance fitness instructor, baker, comedian, more August 2017
Long Island Food is By the People, for the People October 2016
Duck Island Bread Comes Home June 2015
Huntington Bakery Owned by Suffolk DA's Deputy Chief of Homicide is Set to Open June 2015
Duck Island Bread Company December 2013
Suffolk lawyer's bread business rising June 2012